Why We Decided To
Retire in Dominican Republic
by Lynda Lehmann
When I'm asked why I wanted to retire in Dominican Republic, I answer with a question...
Are Caribbean tropics luring you with dreams of leisurely beach walks instead of shoveling snow?
My husband Les + I are expat Canadian baby-boomers who moved to Cabarete (on the north shore of the Dominican Republic) in 2004 to escape harsh northern winters.
We bought a beach side acreage and built 4 vacation rental condos which we rent to tourists from around the world. It's been a fascinating time for us, and we've learned a lot!
Why did we choose the DR and what are the advantages of retiring here?
- Climate - much easier to take endless summers, not shoveling-snow bummers
- Stability - the government is stable, and local people naturally friendly
- Amenities - good infrastructure - such as banking, communications, transportation, water + power
- Economics - real estate bargains, low labour costs, very reasonable cost of living
- Great diversity - 500 miles of island showcasing cool mountain peaks + breath-taking valley vistas, sunny ocean beaches, deserts + rainforests, lazy winding rivers nestled in lush tropical foliage
- Cultural history - Columbus landed here in 1492, claiming the area for Spain, building forts, and introducing new flora + fauna
- Slower lifestyle - warm ocean breezes lull you into slowing down + getting back to basics ... giving you permission to kick back n relax :)
Read more about our experience of moving + living here at
better yet, come on down and visit us for a holiday.
We promise to make you feel right at home. Come see it for yourself, firsthand - FUN!
©2011 Lynda Lehmann Used by permission
Discover Caribbean living in the Dominican Republic's world famous town of Cabarete thru the eyes of expat Canadian baby-boomers who share how they followed their dream and how you can too!
Return from Retire in Dominican Republic to Best Place to Retire